Compeer Program Coordinator
JOB TITLE: Compeer Program Coordinator
POSITION REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time, 15-20 hrs/week, Non-exempt
PURPOSE OF POSITION: This position administers Compeer friendship programs (including 1:1 matches, Compeer Calling and Compeer Corp) utilizing
community volunteers in supportive friendships with adults diagnosed with mental illness and in mental health recovery.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES: Recruiting, interviewing, training, matching and supporting volunteers (“Compeers”) and friends as well as plan events for socialization as well as ensure adequate resources for program.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in public health or a related field strongly preferred.
- Experience working in the mental health/behavioral health field preferred as well as caring and understanding attitude toward persons with mental illness and others who are experiencing difficulties.
- Clearance of state and federal background checks.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills; able to get along well with a diverse group of clients, co-workers and team members.
- Dependability, professionalism, and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task and prioritize tasks and projects.
- Demonstrates positive, collaborative approach to work, including a commitment to problem solving.
- Knowledge of local human service agencies and services.
- Ability to exhibit leadership with volunteers and professionals.
- Commitment to the importance of mental wellness, advocacy, recovery, excellence and to the mission of MHALC.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to write routine reports, e-mails and correspondence.
- Able to maintain a professional appearance at all times.
- Able to meet deadlines and prioritizes work based on client and Manager needs.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Recruiting, interviewing, training, matching and supporting volunteers (“Compeers”).
- Scheduling and facilitating trainings of prospective Compeers.
- Making friendship matches of Compeers and Friends.
- Keeping program statistics and providing monthly reports to Programs Director or Supervisor.
- Helping to support current matches and referred Friends who are not yet matched.
- Support friendship matches via phone and e-mail contact and processing of Compeers’ monthly reports.
- Recruit Compeer Calling volunteers to provide support for Friends in the waiting group; make and support matches.
- Work with ED, program coordinator and advisory group to plan and facilitate additional group activities and events.
- Contribute to MHA newsletter and biweekly Compeer electronic newsletter.
- Assist in acquiring financial resources for the Compeer program and MHALC.
- Conducts annual survey.
- Collect, maintain and update the mailing lists and data of members (electronic and postal service).
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
NOTE: MHALC is a dynamic organization changing as needed to best address its goals and seeks a candidate that is adaptable and responsive to the needs.