How to Get a Friend
In order to request a friend, you must have your mental health provider fill out a referral packet and send it to Compeer Lancaster for review.
For Mental Health Providers
Clients must be referred by a qualified mental health professional who is engaged in an ongoing clinical relationship with the client. A mental health professional must be trained or licensed in social work, psychology, case management or be a medical doctor.
The mental health professional must know the client, see him/her for treatment on a regular basis and be willing to be consulted for intervention and consultation as situations or crisis occur. Clients must have a primary diagnosis of mental illness and be appropriate for referral to the Compeer program.
- Potential to benefit from the kind of social interaction a volunteer friend is able to provide
- Willing and desiring to be matched with a volunteer friend
- Willing to participate in a volunteer program
- Dependable in keeping appointments and returning phone calls
- Not currently homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, in prison or hospitalized
- Has at least a rudimentary insight into their illness and are aware of the importance of maintaining a professional therapeutic alliance with the referring mental health professional throughout the duration of the Compeer match
Note: Referrals of individuals with a history of criminal activity or felony, physically or sexually aggressive behavior, fire-starting, and/or a diagnosis of narcissistic or antisocial personality disorder and/or dementia should first be discussed with a Compeer staff member to determine appropriateness. Contact the Compeer office at (717) 397-7461 with questions.